What is Yoga?

Yoga is when all mind activities are enveloping a thought or an object.
- Patanjali


NEW CLASSES.....

Starting 6th April at the Trinity Centre, Beechwood Road (Dalston), London E8 3DY 6-7pm

Starting 12th April at OneKX, 120 Cromer Street, London WC1H 8BS 6-7pm

Sunday 1 November 2009

Yoga Challenge - I did it!



108 sun salutations in 3 hours!!! These were led by renowned yoga teachers such as Simon Low (Yin Yang Yoga), Katy Appleton (Apple Yoga), Duncan Wong (Yogic Arts), Neil Patel (Chi Kri Yga), Jo Manuel (Special Yoga Centre) and Dylan Ayaloo (Power Yoga).

It was supposed to be only under 2 hours but for some reason it took longer than expected and even outlasted the Arsenal vs Tottenham football game (according to my husband). Anyway it was my first time to join the yoga challenge raising funds for the Special Yoga Centre. I must admit I have never been to the centre but I have heard so many good things they have done for children. Considering the fact that I am also a kids yoga teacher, I wanted to support a cause close to my heart.

Never in my wildest dreams would I have thought to do 50 surya namaskar, let alone 108. Last year I had a good excuse not to join because it was on a Sunday morning at 7 or 8 am; that was definitely too early for me! Who knows if trains were running according to schedule? Yeah yeah! We heard it all. This year it was on a Saturday afternoon - I couldn't find another excuse except that I didn't think I was able to do it and potentially bruise my ego. Tja! Plus the fact that I needed to raise funds as well. People are not too generous in these times.

I remember vividly chatting with Helen about it and she kept on telling me that I could do it and even if I couldn't, I could rest anytime and continue when I was ready. That was late at night when suddenly it clicked. Why not? What's the worst thing that could happen? Within 10 minutes I had my yoga aid page, registered myself and paid for my ticket!

Fundraising was not very successful. Hung my posters at the schools and centres I taught at. No luck! Thank God for Guta - she was the only one who donated £10 to my cause. Bless her!

The whole experience was great. I am tired, my body is not aching yet at this point (we'll see tomorrow) but I feel energised, more confident and quite surprised at myself. During the challenge, I kept thinking to myself I wanted to give up, that I was going to faint soon and die (hihi) but none of that happened. I tried my best, exerted some effort to an extent but not too hard. The only discomfort I have right now is in my right wrist, probably sprained it in the last few sequences when we went into Vasisthasana. Oh well, I am gonna live.

Pics, courtesy of James, have been uploaded. Nothing can spoil my day and the rest of the week. I feel renewed and alive, a kick to practise more and lose some fat rolls! Oh yes, I do have them too. Look forward to next year's challenge with more vigor and determination to raise at least £100! Hope you will support me and/or join the challenge as well and raise awareness of the benefits of yoga through these events.

Namaste.



1 comment:

  1. Fun post! Great way to give back to others. Hope you can join us again this year at the Yoga Show.

    namaste
    Dylan Ayaloo
    www.hotpoweryoga.co.uk

    ReplyDelete